Monday, April 16, 2012

An Idea for Battle Rage...

I've just finished reading for the upteenth time a book called Sabriel by Garth Nix. The book is mainly about necromancers but near the end one of the main characters "Touchstone", goes into a blind beserker rage and I think it would be awesome if the animation for Battle Rage had a similar style to how the book describes Touchstone. In the book he is described as having froth forming at the mouth and his head darting around as if he were a hound following a scent. I think it would be awesome for the barbarian to roar and have these beserker-y animations. Tell me what you guys think.|||Sounds savage. I like it.|||I LOVE The Abhorsen series. Have you read Lirael and Abhorsen yet? And I agree, I think that would be an awesome animation for the Barbarian. I love the way the Necromancers use bells in Abhorsen and when they cross into death. I wish the necromancer in Diablo 2 had been like that.|||Aside from the fact that you wouldn't be able to see that, with the isometric view and small char size and angle, etc... would you still want it if there were a corresponding loss of control? If the character is in some kind of rabid frenzy and his head is jerking around, etc, shouldn't you be limited in your control somewhat? Like he'll do more damage and shrug off hits, but his motor skills are slightly impaired.

Also, would you still want that skill/effect... on your female barbarian?|||@ Flux, we'd be able to see it a little bit, wouldn't we? Can't we zoom in on our character, at least a little? If we can see the battle wounds on his chest, I don't imagine frothing of the mouth would be totally out of the question?

I agree, control should be slightly altered, but not uncontrollable. Just because his head is darting back and forth doesn't mean he can't function? I work in public safety and I've trained myself to look all around me, observe my surroundings, as I walk in a straight line. It sounds feasible to me.

But I do agree, he should be tougher, stronger, but with some stuff limited. Perhaps restricted mobility, but not to where he's near uncontrollable.

And of course the female barbarian would get it too. They crap just like the rest of us.|||Coupled with a heavy breathing chest and a more feral hunchbacked pose this sounds like and insanely awesome idea! Unless its just cause im drunk.. But still, Sounds sweet.

Gotta dramatize it some though to be suffieciently visible in birds eye view.|||Quote:








@ Flux, we'd be able to see it a little bit, wouldn't we? Can't we zoom in on our character, at least a little? If we can see the battle wounds on his chest, I don't imagine frothing of the mouth would be totally out of the question?




You'd be able to see if it you held still and looked closely, but I don't think it would show up during combat. Most people play going forward/up, so you can't see the face anyway, eh? Which is why most skill effects in D2 and D2 create sound effects, auras, things glowing overhead, total body shape changes, swirling lights, etc. The character models aren't large enough to see that kind of stuff on. Especially with armor/helms that may cover the entire face.

There's no zoom option in the game. But since Bashiok tells us we won't miss it, what's to worry about?




Quote:








I agree, control should be slightly altered, but not uncontrollable. Just because his head is darting back and forth doesn't mean he can't function? I work in public safety and I've trained myself to look all around me, observe my surroundings, as I walk in a straight line. It sounds feasible to me.




The original post in this thread describes it as a "blind berserker rage" which seems far more involved than just looking around in various directions, voluntarily. IMHO if you're going to give the skill big powers, then the character should suffer some commensurate effect while using it.




Quote:








And of course the female barbarian would get it too. They crap just like the rest of us.




Obviously both chars would have to get it for gameplay, but what sounded cool for a guy, to be all crazy and slobbering and homocidal, might be less appealing when envisioned for a female version of the char.

No comments:

Post a Comment