Saturday, April 21, 2012

Anyone else think the Barb is over the top?

I mean while watching the gameplay trailer I got the impression I was watching a demo for an arcade game or a Gods of War expansion. One of the things I always liked about Diablo was its ability to find a believable median between realism and fantasy. D3's barb seems to lean too heavily towards fantasy and over-the-top. I'm hoping they tone it down a bit in the final release.|||Yeah, it's a bit over the top, but I don't see it as a bad thing. I allways thought Diablo II's skills were a little underwhelming. A skill like 'Fist of the Heavens' didn't quite live up to it's name if you ask me...

How is your combat engine being compared to a game universally praised for it's awesome combat like God of War a bad thing? As for the realism part, Diablo II had a lot of ludicrous looking skills, but no one seems to care. I think it's just a matter of getting used to.|||I remember Sorc skill: "Thunderstorm". It was a single weird "BOING!" sound and a lone sprite going down on a monster avery 10 seconds or so. THUNDERSTORM! ^_^|||i think the barb looked over the top cause he was overpowered for the demo. it was clear that the vid was entirely scripted and they were just trying to show some things off. i would not really look too much into it yet|||Yes, of course. I agree with Apocalypse. You will notice that their exp bar hardly, if at all, moves during the course of the gameplay trailer. The barbarian was obviously pretty tripped out for the area he was in, and all they wanted to do was showcase his array of skills.

In all, I believe you are mistaking newer, more fantasy-like special effects and graphics as over the top, when compared to the oldschool style of D2...mistakenly taken as more "realistic". The element of fantasy between D2 and D3 remains unchanged.|||Quote:








i think the barb looked over the top cause he was overpowered for the demo. it was clear that the vid was entirely scripted and they were just trying to show some things off. i would not really look too much into it yet




Indeed. I watched the video fully expecting either the chars to be decked out in above average gear, or the monsters to be toned down to below average stats. In the final release the monsters should hopefully be alot tougher.|||The barb will be overpowered when the game releases. Why you might ask? Because he's the flagship of Diablo now, he's the main man of the series. Their making him the focal point. He's easy to play, powerful, and a huge draw for newbie players and teens who want to bash things. He will be stronger than people want him to be, but thats to us barbarian lovers benefit.|||d3 is based around barb? Source?|||What makes you say that the Barb is the focal point? I mean the Witch Doctor had just as much face time in the gameplay video as the Barb did. I personally liked that they showed that the Barb would have more of a crowd killing focus in D3. The one thing that drove me nuts in D2 when it comes to the Barb is that he couldn't kill as quickly as basically every other class.|||Nope, not over the top. He's a bashing-crashing-smashing class; his skills better intimidate and show lots of activity.

Also, we haven't seen the other classes yet. I'll put him at middle until I see the Archer/Rogue or Sorceress.

No comments:

Post a Comment